Why do you continue to use D?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 21:14:44 UTC 2020

On 6/6/20 4:55 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It depends on if you think the show is one you want to watch. Saying
>> "it was ugly, but we still put on the show even though nobody paid to
>> see it" isn't success.
>
> Every language has its uglies.
>
> It's not the same thing as a showstopper.

Not all showstoppers are objective lines. On one side is pain you are
willing to go through to make the horrible system you are using do what
you want it to do (see for instance, web applications).

On the other side is too much pain to even consider it. And there are
factors. If D was the only game in town for the target audience, it's
very likely they would do as Manu is doing with C++, and suffer through
the horror. But if another option is available, that has different
horrors, then you make a decision based on which horror scares you the
least.

To continue the "show" analogy, consider a theater show where all the
show light bulbs burn out simultaneously. You could say "Well, they can
do it by flashlight," and yes, it could happen. People wouldn't be able
to see it, but the show would *happen*. So one could argue that not
having significant lighting is not a showstopper in the way you are
saying "just use void initialization".

-Steve