Why didn't Micro Soft take D as their new language?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jun 8 06:11:13 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 21:32:49 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 20:46:36 UTC, Vinod K Chandran wrote:
>> Why didn't Micro Soft take D as their new language? If they
>> wanted a better C, D would have been better than Rust.
>
> Because Microsoft copies technologies and makes an in house
> version of it. Microsoft did it with Java and called it J++. I
> expect that Microsoft will come with a Rust clone soon, we know
> that they have already started working on that.
>
> Why didn't they clone D? Maybe it was too close to C++ and C#,
> the extra work wasn't worth it. Maybe D was too fringe for
> Microsoft to care.

Microsoft is an OpenJDK contributor nowadays and Java has first
class support on Azure and VSCode.

Rust has been adopted by VSCode, Azure and WinRT/UWP teams
without MS extras.

They don't need to clone D, given the improvements ISO C++ has
been getting (in collaboration with other companies like IBM,
Khronos, CodePlay, Apple and Google) and C# has gotten the low
level features from System C# used in Midori.

Likewise Google and Apple are adopting Rust, and haven't spent
one second mentioning D on their latest job offers and roadmaps.

So while it is easy to criticise Microsoft and point to their
traditional practices, better focus on making a solid story for
getting D in a proper state first.