Why do you continue to use D?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 07:22:35 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 8:00 AM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > To continue the "show" analogy, consider a theater show where all the
> show light
> > bulbs burn out simultaneously. You could say "Well, they can do it by
> > flashlight," and yes, it could happen. People wouldn't be able to see
> it, but
> > the show would *happen*. So one could argue that not having significant
> lighting
> > is not a showstopper in the way you are saying "just use void
> initialization".
>
> On the other hand, how many shared local variables does one have in a
> program?
>
> Every shared variable is a risk of threading problems, and one should try
> minimize their use.

Not how our ecosystem works... practically everything is shared. The whole
gig is about declaring access control, and mechanisms which schedule
appropriately synchronised access to shared things. Without type-safety,
mistakes are way too easy to make.

Shared is a really big deal for D that it's never truly capitalised on.