Counting bits in a ulong

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jun 8 18:50:33 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 06:08:55PM +0000, ttk via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 June 2020 at 04:19:44 UTC, sebasg wrote:
[...]
> > Jesus. Shouldn't you be able to generate that instead of
> > copy-pasting? It's D, after all.
>
> A fair point.  Duplicating it in emacs was literally five keystrokes,
> but I should rewrite it to use templates anyway (more excuse to fiddle
> with D!).

No templates needed, just use static foreach. ;-)  (See my other reply
to your code.)

> Also, I figured out why the 16-bit lookup wasn't more closely 2.0x the
> performance of the 8-bit lookup.  The L1 cache is 192KB, but that's
> divided across its six cores, so this single-threaded program only got
> 32KB of L1 to play with.  The 8-bit lookup table fit in that, but only
> half of the 16-bit lookup table did.

I think your results are skewed; your copy-n-pasted block of count
repeatedly overwrites `count` without assigning its value anywhere else,
so the optimizer deleted all except the last block of code!  See my
other reply.

Tech-savvy: euphemism for nerdy.