What does 'inline' mean?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 10 01:48:20 UTC 2020

On 6/9/2020 4:31 PM, Manu wrote:
> Redundant work,

It isn't redundant work to do it in the linker. It is redundant to do half of
the linker's job in the compiler, throw away the other half of it, and re-do it
in the linker.

 > undesired object bloat,

Not a problem since we moved on from floppy disks.

 > and various potential link issues/errors.

I suppose that fits in with the common notion that the linker is black magic
full of trolls and dragons. It isn't, it's a boringly simple program. Although
it is true that probably only 1 in 100 programmers can explain what a linker does.

(Most of the complexity of linkers is not inherent, it is the result of file
formats designed by hamsters and workarounds for compiler and loader bugs. You
have to pity the linker developer - there's no glamor, nobody understands what
they do, nobody praises them, they just dump on them with "what does 'undefined
symbol mean' - must be a bug in the linker" questions.)