Status of std.container rewrite?

tastyminerals tastyminerals at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:55:54 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 at 07:38:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 05:49 +0000, tastyminerals via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: […]
>> Not arguing that. Every workflow is affected by IDE and its
>> lack thereof. My initial idea was that before the potential
>> future D user even gets there, he needs something to reach
>> for. It could be the web framework which is so good that no
>> other framework is better. It could be the library that is a
>> faster and easier to work with than alternative. D has neither
>> of those and this is discouraging. So, the only new ppl who
>> come, do so because of the language and the amount of such ppl
>> is very small in general. I knew nothing of D libraries but
>> expected such powerful and fast language to have scientific
>> libraries. I found only Mir which is just array manipulation
>> lib. Great, but what about actual beefy stuff like CRF, SVM,
>> k-means? Scattered around personal github repos without single
>> dedicated lib. Does it encourage me to proceed with the
>> language? Definitely no. I would rather continue using Python
>> ecosystem or C/C++ or Java, Scala. I bet even Rust has this by
>> now.
>
> Go has this problem of no findability of all the good libraries
> due to no
> central repository of source libraries. C and C++ have nothing
> at all unless
> you count Conan. Python has PyPI, Rust has crates.io, D has
> Dub, Java/Scala
> has Maven and JCenter. Of course Go and Rust allow you to use
> DVCS to get at
> libraries and this is a wonderful feature – when added to a
> central repository
> as with Rust.
>
> So Phobos not having stuff is probably just D being modern. Is
> it in Dub, no
> idea but at least D has a central repository. Dub working with
> DVCS as well as
> the central repository would be a good thing.

Not sure if you are answering to the op or just add on top of
mine. I think having DVCS is really nice and enjoy browsing
through dub packages. I also agree than batteries-included notion
the way I described it is outdated today.

What I tried to pinpoint is that what brings in new people and
keeps the newcomers is a dependency on a particular lib. This
happened to many niche languages out there and Lua in my eyes a
perfect example of making the language popular among researchers
/ students (who are the principal target audience as new
adopters). I have been a student several years ago when deep
learning was going mainstream and saw how many PhD / Master /
Bachelor students were messing with Lua just because it had that
one hot library. The majority was writing stuff in Python, yes
but Lua had its share too. I did my thesis work in Lua myself and
that was only because of Torch. After graduating and starting to
work, I continued using Lua to do research at work because I
already had a lot of code written. Eventually we moved to Python
because Tensorflow had Java API and our backend was written in
Java/Scala mix. But this is how the language popularity grows for
establish languages, outside the "here-is-shiny-new-thing"
mindset that emerging languages spread these days.