Status of std.container rewrite?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Wed Jun 10 13:06:44 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 19:49:48 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 18:39:22 UTC, Rahul Gupta wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> (Sorry, if i posted to wrong forum)
>>
>> I am new to D, just started learning a few days back. I have
>> been writing small programs to learn D, some of which require
>> use of containers.
>>
>> Looking at std.containers I see that it is very barebones and
>> generally requires a lot of efforts to use. Googling around
>> brings me to stuff posted around 2015-16 that says that
>> std.container is pending a rewrite. However it is 2020 now and
>> std.container has still not improved.
>>
>> Has any progress made towards the rewrite? Is it at design
>> stage or being developed or has it been forgotten? Is there
>> any timeline for the std.containers rewrite?
>
> The latest effort was
> https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/2760, but it stalled as
> no consensus was reached on how the reference-counting should
> be done.

The fact that no one looked into this nor stated his opinion is
exactly the reason why no consensus has been reached!

Apparently, it's a lot easier and comfortable to go off-topic and
discuss the merits of different languages and their IDEs :/

I understand that it's easier to understand and more visible if
your IDE doesn't provide good auto-completion, but I don't
understand why threads like this get repeatedly hijacked and
don't even prepend to discuss the actual question asked by the OP.