Status of std.container rewrite?

Avrina avrina12309412342 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:50:26 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 at 07:38:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> So Phobos not having stuff is probably just D being modern. Is
> it in Dub, no
> idea but at least D has a central repository. Dub working with
> DVCS as well as
> the central repository would be a good thing.

I've heard this argument before, it is a rather weak one. Even
C++ and Rust have containers in their standard library, and
that's in two languages that have a relatively small and modest
standard library, though C++'s std lib continues to grow.
Python's standard library is also rather huge, and of course also
includes containers. D's standard library includes libcurl and
some other's that is questionable whether it should have been
included in the first place.

Part of the problem is that parts of Phobos aren't maintained
anymore by anyone. Regex comes to mind. In other languages if
something is in the standard library then it is going to be
maintained by the core development team, that isn't exactly the
case with D. If D wanted to try and attract scientific researches
for example, then it would be a good idea to include and maintain
those elements into the standard library to make it easier for
them.