What does 'inline' mean?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 10 22:29:59 UTC 2020

On 6/10/2020 11:03 AM, Avrina wrote:
> I think maybe new programmers think that,

I've seen near total linker puzzlement from people with long experience with C
and C++. I don't know how this happens, just that it is commonplace.

> ones that come from languages like
> python or otherwise where they don't have to deal with the abomination known as
> a linker.

"Abomination" is a misunderstanding of what a linker is and does.

> That's the  thing, the way the workflow is setup the problem usually
> isn't with the linker which makes it really annoying to try and find where the
> problem actually is.

Understanding the simple process of linking is key to quickly resolving whether
a problem is linker or compiler.

I wrote a "how linkers work" chapter for Kevlin Henney's book "97 Things Every
Programmer Should Know":

https://www.amazon.com/Things-Every-Programmer-Should-Know/dp/0596809484/

No, I don't get any payments from that book. I was talking to Kevlin once
grousing about nobody understanding linkers, and he invited me to write a
chapter :-)