Why do you continue to use D?

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:18:58 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 at 11:07:12 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 June 2020 at 04:51:28 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 at 11:12:08 UTC, aberba wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> My days in college were assignments in Java and reimplement
>> them in D. My sharpened languages today are C# and D.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Seems like you're in the tight position choosing between these
> two.
>
> I've talked to folks who say D is nice but the ecosystem
> doesn't help to get things done...libraries, development tools,
> and content seems to pop up a lot.

True. What I do for writing selenium based tests, or switch to
another browser test API just would not be possible today. We
would have to build the api communication from the ground up. The
company I work for doesn't develop software testing solutions so
I would not be able to convince them to put what would basically
be money to improve D.

I think D is fine for the scripts we tend to have and if every
was fluent/enjoying D, I could see time taken to implement
something in D. But I'm working with QA and developers which
don't appear to be doing it for the joys of programming.