Why do you continue to use D?

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:01:12 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 at 18:00:51 UTC, Meta wrote:

> Good point. It's been said many times before, but the people
> who use D the most and post on this mailing list are a
> self-selected group that, by definition, are outside the norm.
> That will be the case until/unless D becomes a mainstream
> language with a better reason to use it than "it's a fun
> language to program in".

I'm quite thankful for what D has done for me.

I've only done a little bit of C and C++. I really didn't want to
program in those languages. D has allowed me access to similar
tools and abilities to interact with C based libraries easily. As
annoying as the Win32 api can be, I can still easily incorporate
it into my programs.

When I work with C# there are times I'm pretty sure my api would
be better in D. Every time I reach for generics it is never the
tool I think it is and I have to resort to runtime type
information.