What does 'inline' mean?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jun 13 01:28:27 UTC 2020

On 6/11/2020 6:55 PM, Manu wrote:
>     We're not talking about templates.
>
> This is another one of those cases is really bizarre resistance to what seems
> like a blindingly obvious thing.
> Can you please explain why you feel opposed to this, and why our existing
> solution, which is 'weird' by all accounts, and satisfies ZERO of the goals
> assigned to inline is preferable?

Specifying solutions without explaining what the problem is means I will never
understand what you want. For example, I had to keep saying why? why? why? to
you over several posts before you finally said what you wanted was a header only
library.

I show you how you can do that with existing D, along with an existing, working
solution.

Then you say you're not talking about templates.

Hence I still don't know what problem(s) you are having, as I have no idea why
templates are no good for you.

> The existing implementation is inline is a COMPLETELY useless thing.

I use it, and it's not useless.

I suggest coming up with a complete list of what problems you are trying to
solve, not a list of proposed solutions.

BTW, the pragma(inline) came out of a conversation you & I had at a DConf some
years ago, and we talked about inline and not inlining. I don't recall you ever
mentioning issues with linkage, multiple instantiations, etc.

I also have problems understanding what you want when things are distributed
piecemeal over a large number of n.g. posts. I suggest again:

1. putting each problem into a bugzilla issue
2. keeping a text file of URLs to those issues
3. cut & paste that list as necessary and where necessary

N.g. postings are utterly disorganized and ephemeral. Using targeted bugzilla
issues is a far better way of organizing specific topics for change.