Social media

Avrina avrina12309412342 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:39:16 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 14:43:22 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 13:11:20 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 13:00:35 UTC, JN wrote:
>>> There is always someone saying that you don't have to use GC
>>> in D
>>
>> Yeah, this is true and for special cases we can show users how
>> it is done, but I wish we'd just focus on actually selling GC
>> instead of hiding from it.
>>
>> GC is a proven winner in real world industry programming and
>> is one of D's strengths. Why we constantly shoot ourselves in
>> the foot by conceding this ground to internet trolls is beyond
>> me.
>
> Indeed, even hard core C++ devs that happen to work with
> Unreal, UWP/COM or DriverKit have to make peace with GC
> technologies (either tracing or refcounted).

I've heard heard the Unreal argument before. That's not the same
thing as a GC in a programming language. You wouldn't be able to
build the GC built in Unreal in a GC only language. You are using
it as an example to use the GC but in reality it demonstrates the
need for programming languages that doesn't force you to use one.