Is run.d going to be expand for runtime and the phobos library?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jun 14 00:22:29 UTC 2020

On 6/13/20 8:00 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 23:53:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> I, for one, thought it was an interesting little write-up. Didn't
>>> expect it, my guess was that you were against the idea of using D to
>>> build something instead of a DSL, not the implementation.
>>
>> I should add - the fact that dmd needs to be installed in order to
>> build dmd is the proverbial insult added to the injury. Of course that
>> ruined the carefully constructed AUTO_BOOTSTRAP option that allows
>> building dmd on a fresh system.
>>
>> I should also add - unless I'm looking at the wrong version, the old
>> posix.mak has 654 lines. build.d has 1932 lines. But build.d also
>> supplants the Windows 32/64 makefiles (589/57 lines), so the size is
>> not way bigger. But that begs the question - given its liabilities, by
>> what metric is build.d an improvement?
>
> You used to have to update diffrent makefiles when adding a new file the
> build

Awesome, now I only need to do surgery on build.d in an obscure function
at line 1160 :o).

I'm not saying what was there was better. I'm just asking why there's so
little progress.

> Have you used the windows makefiles?
> They didn't work without modification.
>
> I do agree that build.d takes to long to build because of all the
> phobos-ness in it.
> But if I want to debug it I can, at least.
>
> whereas with those makefiles which have to work with digital mars make.
> it's way harder.

I've often said gmake should be used for Windows to build dmd. Now we
require dmd to build dmd...

And this time is on us. We can't blame the arcane make syntax. We got to
define it all, and defined it to be even more arcane.

Where. Is. The. Progress.