Social media

Avrina avrina12309412342 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 00:47:08 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 19:08:17 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 16:39:16 UTC, Avrina wrote:
>> On Saturday, 13 June 2020 at 14:43:22 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> Indeed, even hard core C++ devs that happen to work with
>>> Unreal, UWP/COM or DriverKit have to make peace with GC
>>> technologies (either tracing or refcounted).
>>
>> I've heard heard the Unreal argument before. That's not the
>> same thing as a GC in a programming language. You wouldn't be
>> able to build the GC built in Unreal in a GC only language.
>> You are using it as an example to use the GC but in reality it
>> demonstrates the need for programming languages that doesn't
>> force you to use one.
>
> Sure it is, Blueprints and Unreal C++ (as C++ dialect used in
> Unreal) have GC support.

You are using a strawman argument, people that don't like GC for
*systems* programming aren't against *all* GCs.

> And apparently everyone keeps forgetting that C++11 has gotten
> a GC API, while a couple of dialects like C++/CLI and C++/CX
> also have GC extensions.

That no one uses. C++/CLI is dead. C++/CX is dead. There's
C++/WinRT which is dying and being replaced by Rust :). You are
just giving reasons against a GC, no one liked using C++/CLI or
C++/CX.