Header-Only Library - pragma(root)

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Jun 14 16:19:54 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 15:31:05 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 09:42:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I don't know what -i does exactly, or why it was added.
>
> -i is the most exciting thing that happened in the compiler
> from like 2015 up to 2018. Enormously useful in efficient,
> seamless builds, serious gamechanger in using D.
>
> Don't touch it!

I fully agree, but there's a very sad side-story to it:

https://github.com/dlang/tools/pull/271
https://github.com/dlang/tools/pull/290

tl;dr: rund [1] (a modern variant of rdmd without the compile
twice bug + useful features like including flags inside the file
header) was a result of this revert debacle. At this point rund
is vastly superior to rdmd and there's almost zero talk about it
(both: the rdmd debacle + rund).

[1] https://github.com/dragon-lang/rund