D with minimal runtime

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jun 16 01:12:10 UTC 2020

On 6/15/20 8:21 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 15 June 2020 at 08:54:45 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> I was wondering whether the runtime can be minimized to only support
>> the GC. Or is that already the case, i.e. the D runtime is already the
>> minimum needed for GC?
>
> Eh, a good bulk of the d runtime is GC support, it would be hard to pull
> the gc out without most the rest of it.

How difficult would be to arrange things such that absolutely nothing in
the GC makes it in the final ninary if not used?

My recollection is that we currently have a layering on top of the GC
that is based on a misunderstanding of how linkers work, and also
awkward and unnecessary.

Cutting that off and putting some good work into a self-loading GC
(linked in if and only if used) would be amazing work.