DMD as a library - recap, next steps

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Jun 16 11:29:48 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 09:00:55 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:

> Also perhaps one of the goal is to completely replace the
> parser with something more fault-tolerant. For example see:
>
> https://unallocated.com/blog/incremental-packrat-parsing-the-secret-to-fast-language-servers/
>
> https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter
> https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter/blob/master/docs/index.md
>
> ^^^
> I suggest you watch the talks linked from the last page.

I agree. The Eclipse Java compiler has quite a few "modes" in
which you can run it. Only run the parser or run various levels
of semantic analysis. It allows you to compile and run code that
does not compile. For example, the signature of a functions
compiles but not the body. The compiler can just replace the body
with throwing an exception. If that functions is not called at
runtime, it's perfectly fine.

--
/Jacob Carlborg