D with minimal runtime

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jun 17 04:08:26 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 02:47:50AM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 01:12:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > How difficult would be to arrange things such that absolutely
> > nothing in the GC makes it in the final ninary if not used?
>
> I don't know... I haven't looked at it all recently. I know the GC is
> used in part of the program initialization right now though (as are
> threads and other things) so that'd probably all have to change.
[...]

As of recent releases, GC initialization is actually lazy now, it will
not initialize anything until you actually use it.  Still one step away
from being totally optional, granted, but it shouldn't be *too*
difficult to make it so that, e.g., the GC code isn't even linked unless
there's a reference to one of its symbols somewhere.

You have to expect the unexpected. -- RL