D language for Graphical User Interface and Cross Platform Development

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:54:58 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 at 10:33:36 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
> It seems that by using gtkd project to build your GUI
> application it requires a preinstalled runtime that weights
> around 40mb, for Windows operating systems.
> (https://gtkd.org/download.html)
>
> A Dlang UI GUI project by Buggins seems to be deprecated and
> even a simple example could not be run anymore.
> (https://github.com/buggins/dlangui)
>
> I'm not aware of any other serious project that could
> efficiently provide a way to build a stable GUI.
>
> What should I do if I want to write a cross-platform
> application with graphical user interface in D? Should I wait
> until there will be better maintained libraries listed on the
> (https://wiki.dlang.org/GUI_Libraries) or there are other ways
> to create and build a GUI D language application?

We're just waiting for a hero to make that happen. DLangUI is the
most promising pure D GUI but being based on a single
individual's effort doesn't help get it there yet.

It also tried to do too much instead of a modern and simple
approach...more modular and customisable to enable others to
build atop.