Serious Problems with the Test Suite

Avrina avrina12309412342 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:38:14 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 18 June 2020 at 02:34:42 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 01:59:39AM +0000, Avrina via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 at 23:59:52 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>> > 11. Every time we run into "oh, that's just a heisenbug, try
>> > re-running the test" that is a BUG in the test suite and
>> > needs to be fixed. Those are gigantic time and resource
>> > wasting problems.
>>
>> I've run into these problems with, for example, optlink. When
>> trying to get optlink removed, you prevent it. These
>> heisenbugs exist because, a lot of the time, you aren't
>> willing to chop off dead weight.
>
> Whoa, holey miss the point batman!  Optlink may have its own
> share of issues, but the problem here isn't with this or that
> piece of software, it's with the structure of the testsuite.

There are issues with optlink, I've seen them manifest in
testsuite and just running the test again "fix" it. It's not the
only problem where this has occured.

I'm sure there's more problem with the test suite, and it is
rather messy and has grown slow. I was replying specifically to
the point about "heisenbugs". Some of which are of Walter's own
creation do to his refusal to accept change.