Issues with optlink

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 03:23:24 UTC 2020

On Friday, 19 June 2020 at 00:54:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/18/2020 3:20 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 02:40:33PM -0700, Walter Bright via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> I've run those tests more than anyone, and have not seen an
>>> optlink
>>> heisenbug.
>>
>> I think it's because Walter uses advanced quantum technology
>> that can
>> directly handle quantum-superimposed computation states [1],
>> so none of
>> these heisenbugs affect him. ;-)
>>
>> [1]
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.3657.1591403118.31109.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com
>
> That's not an optlink issue.

Starting a new thread as not to derail the original topic, which
contained valid points.

Optlink has been a pain for everyone on x86 Windows for a while.
I personally use Linux and Mac OSX, but tried doing some work on
Windows recently and first think I got was a linker crash.

There have been active steps taken to limit its use / reduce the
exposure of new users to it, among them:
- Dub defaults to mscoff since v1.15.0, and that has drastically
improved the UX for new users. See
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1661 for the many reasons this
was done.
- Vibe.d recently dropped support for it because they were
causing crashes / timeout:
https://github.com/vibe-d/vibe.d/pull/2445
- This was tried in DMD, and you obviously shut it down:
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8347 . I will just quote the
last post by Manu here: "I don't have the energy to pursue this.
I do think it's important though."

And yes, they are document, advertised, and have been advocated
for years, yet you refused to listen to the feedback countless
users have given.