Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:54:16 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 12:56:26 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 6/24/20 7:21 AM, aberba wrote:
>> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/apples-new-macs-how-theyll-work-after-ditching-intel-chips-11592862690
>>

>> This means there's genuine interest in Arm. Note there's
>> similar move by Microsoft to get their system to work on Arm
>> chips.
>>

>> PC was the only compelling target for Intel/Amd targets but
>> now its changing.
>
> I was wondering about this. DMD I think only supports Intel,
> right? Are there any plans to support ARM, or will ldc/gdc be
> the only compilers that support Mac in the future?
They're saying the transition will take two yrs. Seems they're
really serious about the move to Arm. Two yrs to get DMD to work
on Arm. By then, there'll be dozens of other Windows PC's doing
that.

> I've used a mac since 2011, and I'm probably going to buy an
> Intel macbook this year before they are discontinued (my
> current one is from 2014), just to give myself more time to
> deal with it.
>
> I'm curious to see how this will affect the Mac ecosystem.
>
> -Steve

I think others will join Apple in this move. Performance + power
efficiency. Power efficiency more importantly as stated by Apple
🍎.