Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Uknown sireeshkodali1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 08:25:29 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 11:21:51 UTC, aberba wrote:
> [...]
> PC was the only compelling target for Intel/Amd targets but now
> its changing.

This is more than just PC though. ARM chips cover virtually
everything, from small SBCs like the Raspberry Pi, to high end
servers like the Graviton. Also, with things like postmarketOS[1]
becoming more prominent, I think D's support for ARM and other
non-x86 architectures will become more and more important in the
coming years.

Also an interesting anecdote:

Many people often think ARM cores are small and slow compared to
x86, but this simply hasn't been true for a very long time in
*many* use cases. Consider for e.g. compiling a large C/C++
codebase. Compiling mesa on my i5 4258u (28W part) takes more
than 30minutes. I have 8GB of ram and a fast SSD too. Compare
that with my phone which comes with a low end 8xA53 cores, and
compiles mesa in 10 minutes!

And its no longer just areas which can be heavily parallelised,
like code compiling. Apple's latest cores are as fast or faster
than x86 chips in a lot of tasks[2].

[1]: https://postmarketos.org/ based on Alpine linux, which just
recently added official D support
[2]: