Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Jun 25 09:45:40 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 16:27:27 UTC, Seb wrote:

> To clarify and avoid confusion I see absolutely no reason
> anyone would waste this huge effort of time into getting DMD to
> work on ARM as there are two superior and working compiler
> backends and thus this won't be happening.
>
> So yes you'll have to move away from DMD to LDC or GDC, but
> that shouldn't be a concern to anyone as even today with the
> amazing LDC team there's absolutely no reason to use DMD
> either. In fact I personally believe using DMD for production
> is irresponsible and at the very least should be strongly
> discouraged as mwe can't seem to convince the DFL/Walter to
> drop the DMD backend for obvious reasons.
>
> Tl;Dr: it's just yet another nail in the coffin against DMD ...

However, this will seriously interrupt the tool chain /
development workflow I'd imagine. You'd better start working on
the toolchain so that basic D development remains as simple as
downloading DMD and typing "$ dmd ..." in the CLI. I don't know
how dvm is now, but it used to only support dmd, and dvm is a
valuable tool.

Sorry lads, but it was foreseeable that neglecting ARM support
for so long would come back to bite you one day.