Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Jun 25 10:10:43 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 16:27:27 UTC, Seb wrote:

> So yes you'll have to move away from DMD to LDC or GDC, but
> that shouldn't be a concern to anyone as even today with the
> amazing LDC team there's absolutely no reason to use DMD
> either. In fact I personally believe using DMD for production
> is irresponsible and at the very least should be strongly
> discouraged as mwe can't seem to convince the DFL/Walter to
> drop the DMD backend for obvious reasons.

Every time I've tried to move to LDC, I've ended up using DMD
again. It just gets annoying using a slow compiler with my
workflow, which is heavy on recompilation. Every so often LDC can
be a fair amount slower than DMD. I'm rarely able to get better
than a 20% improvement using LDC. Production and development are
both important. Until LDC can match DMD's compilation speed,
there's a very good argument in favor of having DMD around. (That
doesn't mean it's worthwhile to have an ARM DMD compiler, but
you're making the stronger statement that DMD doesn't provide any
value in any circumstances.)