Why Phobos is cool

Petar Petar
Thu Jun 25 13:42:21 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 09:08:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 06:52:05 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>>
>> The sooner we realize this and start collectively working on
>> improving Dub and code.dlang.org, the better.
>
> FYI for anyone interested, this has been a topic of discussion
> at the past two quarterly foundation meetings. We have outlined
> a path forward, but we just need to secure funding. We're
> currently awaiting news on that front. Whether the news is good
> or bad, I'll be able to announce the plans shortly after I hear
> it. If it's bad news, we'll likely have to seed the initiative
> with the HR fund and depend on the community to keep it going
> long-term until we get an alternative solution. I'm hopeful it
> won't come to that.

Thank you for the update Mike, I appreciate it.

I think even the fact that this has been the topic of discussion
for the those meetings is a good news in itself!

I haven't been able to contribute to D in the past 1-2 years as I
would like to, but before that, at some point, I was in the top 3
people in terms of number of pull request code reviews, so back
then I had very good visibility of the how things were going.

I'm currently the CTO of a small startup, and needless to say,
I'd very much like our team to use D for more things, but the
biggest blockers for us is that the competition (Rust, Go,
TypeScript) has much better developed ecosystem. Strangely for
many, IDE support is not important for us. (And especially given
D's metaprogramming capabilities, I haven't had high expectations
anyway :D)
Most of the libraries that we need will never be part of Phobos.
If the third-party library & package ecossytem doesn't catch up
with Rust or Nim, using D is just not going to be practical for
the core of our business.