Let's improve the dmd tester.

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:39:18 UTC 2020

Lately,

I have been working quite a lot on DMD again.
(Thanks to my Employer who is using my experience).

One thing which makes intrusive changes to DMD, hard to do, is
the testing "script".
Which executes and evaluates tests for DMD.

It greets you with a wall of text, in which passing and failing
tests are happily coexisting.
Which means that seeing which test failed for example on the
output of Ci service, in which you can't do a grep, is a
multi-second barrier in ones development process.

I do believe that fixing that, will have a large positive impact
on the stability and maintainability of dmd.
Which is important since it's still the main semantic engine
behind D.

I am going to try and fix the tester, but help and suggestions
are always welcome.

Greetings,

Stefan