Why Phobos is cool

Petar Petar
Thu Jun 25 14:41:49 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 12:28:27 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 06:52:05 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>>
>> The Rust community has realized that a slim standard library +
>> a solid package manager is the way to go.
>
> The practice seems to indicate that the theory is false.
>
> The very first Rust program I built with Rust was an _example_
> program for the Amethyst game engine (granted, a big endeavour).
>
> It downloaded _146_ packages and then proceeded to build them
> at a glacial pace. This was a really "npm" moment.
>
> In D my _full_ products have 6 packages (24 when counting
> sub-packages).
>
> It seems slim stdlib has enormous community implications and
> require inordinate amount of coordination and agreements ; it
> changes the whole culture.

The only thing that I need to say is that our team uses npm
(actually yarn) for our stack and we're doing very well :)

So 146 number is pretty laughable in comparison. Running `yarn
list | wc -l` on a random project of our gives me 7368 :D

Whether this is a good thing is a different question altogether,
but in practice, this is not an issue at all for us and for
thousands of other JS/TS teams around the world. What I know is
that npm and yarn handle this huge (in comparison) number very
well, but I'm not so sure about Dub. For example, yarn.lock has
the SHA-512 of each of my dependencies. dub.selections.json only
includes the version numbers.