Why Phobos is cool

Petar Petar
Thu Jun 25 15:07:51 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 12:28:27 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:

> It seems slim stdlib has enormous community implications and
> require inordinate amount of coordination and agreements ; it
> changes the whole culture.

I just want to add that this is a *very* important point. We
definitely need more collaboration and coordination in our
community. Some examples:
- dstep, dpp, Calypso
- install.sh, dvm, digger (much broader scope, but can also do
what dvm does, AFAIR), setup-dlang (only usable for GitHub
actions, but actually replicates the code of install.sh and dvm
to some extent).
- various @nogc libraries (containers, threading, etc.)
- various networking libraries
- etc.

I guess, the most important thing that I see in other language
communities that I miss in D is exactly the coordination and
cooperation. Of course it's very far from perfect in all of them,
but it still feels that D is falling behind.
And I think that this is not a money problem, but a community and
leadership problem.