Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:06:50 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 10:10:43 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 16:27:27 UTC, Seb wrote:
>
>> So yes you'll have to move away from DMD to LDC or GDC, but
>> that shouldn't be a concern to anyone as even today with the
>> amazing LDC team there's absolutely no reason to use DMD
>> either. In fact I personally believe using DMD for production
>> is irresponsible and at the very least should be strongly
>> discouraged as mwe can't seem to convince the DFL/Walter to
>> drop the DMD backend for obvious reasons.
>
> Every time I've tried to move to LDC, I've ended up using DMD
> again. It just gets annoying using a slow compiler with my
> workflow, which is heavy on recompilation. Every so often LDC
> can be a fair amount slower than DMD. I'm rarely able to get
> better than a 20% improvement using LDC. Production and
> development are both important. Until LDC can match DMD's
> compilation speed, there's a very good argument in favor of
> having DMD around. (That doesn't mean it's worthwhile to have
> an ARM DMD compiler, but you're making the stronger statement
> that DMD doesn't provide any value in any circumstances.)

I actually don't get why he'll consider the ARM thing confusion.
You might not like that its happening but as we stand now, almost
every new user starts with DMD and almost everyone uses DMD for
fast prototyping. It's frustrating without it.

So DMD plays a key role than you may think. And it should be
ready for ARM. This doesn't just affect DMD but most currently
software stack and OSes need to start thinking about Arm.

But eventually, say 3-5yrs from now, it can't ignore ARM and
still stay the default compiler.