Why Phobos is cool

Petar Petar
Thu Jun 25 16:23:11 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 15:14:21 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 14:27:02 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> Technically, phobos is actually already on Dub
>> (https://code.dlang.org/packages/phobos), so in the future
>> nothing could prevent you to continue using it, but you would
>> just get it from there and not from the compiler distribution
>> archive. It's the same code, made by the same people, just
>> with a different distribution model.
>
> Aside: it seems like Dub is not properly picking up the tagged
> releases, and only has '~master' and '~stable' available.
> Fixing this would make using Phobos via dub a much more
> attractive proposition.

I agree, this would at least allow people pick an exact version.
(Of course, given that Phobos doesn't follow SemVer, every minor
release (2.xx.0) could introduce a breaking change - a symbol
being removed after the 2 year deprecation period.)

But still, the next major problem to solve is actually ensuring
that each Phobos release works with several different compiler
releases, which as far as I can see is not going to happen
anytime soon.