Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Thu Jun 25 19:10:31 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 21:24:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Windows ARM laptops have been around for some time, with such
> enormous success that many people haven't even heard or already
> forgotten about it. E.g.,
> https://www.techspot.com/review/1599-windows-on-arm-performance/

Last I checked windows on arm was completely locked down like
ios. Microsoft like Apple wants to be alone in its ecosystem.

> They'll probably have to put a lot of work into single-thread
> performance though if they want to seriously compete with x86
> in the laptop/desktop segment and according TDP budget + use
> cases. I'm pretty sure a high number of relatively slow cores
> won't cut it against the likes of Zen 2 and its successors.

The reviewer conveniently forgot to add that only Celeron can
realistically fit in a notebook, anything more powerful will
simply melt under your fingers, because Intel games TDP numbers
to death for the sake of competition.