Why Phobos is cool

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:38:40 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 17:03:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/25/20 12:42 PM, aberba wrote:
>> This will only happen when the community collaborates, which
>> will only happen when there's a visible leadership
>> push/backing.
>
> This is speculation. What is it based on? Boost was started by
> Beman Dawes with no backing. I know next to nothing about npm,
> but a look at their website www.npmjs.com suggests it's a
> traditional for-profit company with no ties to ECMA or other
> JavaScript formal leadership bodies.

First, you're making the whole point of it about npm (JavaScript)
specifically, there's also Cargo (rust).

JavaScript is now very big so there's multiple movements. But
let's take nodejs, there's a foundation. I've watched several
meetings by the core team and you can find them on YouTube. Its
open and live for everyone to see.

> What concrete forms of said leadership push/backing do you
> envision?
Again since I'm more into nodejs recently, I'll just show you
their get involved page.

https://nodejs.org/en/get-involved/

I want to be fair because nodejs community has grown and there's
many stakeholders now...but the initial work to attract interest
has to be done first.

I don't have all the answers. I may not have articulated my
opinions well...for sure. However the thing about community, I'm
not the only person who has that view.