Why Phobos is cool

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.com
Thu Jun 25 19:49:21 UTC 2020

On 6/25/20 3:38 PM, aberba wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 17:03:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 6/25/20 12:42 PM, aberba wrote:
>>> This will only happen when the community collaborates, which will
>>> only happen when there's a visible leadership push/backing.
>>
>> This is speculation. What is it based on? Boost was started by Beman
>> Dawes with no backing. I know next to nothing about npm, but a look at
>> their website www.npmjs.com suggests it's a traditional for-profit
>> company with no ties to ECMA or other JavaScript formal leadership
>> bodies.
>
> First, you're making the whole point of it about npm (JavaScript)
> specifically, there's also Cargo (rust).

Yah, rust is an even better example. They have talented people who are
dedicated to everything related to the rust community, and doing so
improves their own career and pays their bills. How would you walk and
talk if your formal job, and that of a team around you, would be to
serve, manage, and improve the D community? Completely different ballgame.

At least with the resources we can muster for the time being, this is a
war of attrition we can't sustain. It's simple. Our flamewars are
similar to the poor couple fighting and giving each other the example of
the Joneses and how easy everything seems to be for them.