Why Phobos is cool

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Jun 26 09:23:46 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 01:58:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Never in my life have I thrown so much work at such an unending
> pit of hostility. Years and years of my life, and some of my
> best work ever. Hundreds of thousands of lines written. Many
> more reviewed, to be fought tooth and nail by people whom I was
> just trying to help improve. The contrast is fascinating,
> because many companies are ready to pay handily for the very
> same thing, and the C++ community has always been happy with
> much less significant work. I was never able to explain this
> all to myself. But clearly there's something wrong about it. We
> seem to be dealing in some counterfeit expertise currency.
>
> To this day, many moons after I stepped aside, there's no week
> going by without somebody in this forum putting the poop on
> something I've done, or teaching me how I should have done it.

Let me try and compensate by saying Thank You, which I think has
not been said enough. The day you announced that you quit your
job at Facebook to work on D 100% was like Elon Musk announcing
they would build a network of super chargers: it gave a huge
confidence boost. Just WOW. So thank you, and I’m glad to see an
increased involvement from you again recently.

— Bastiaan.