Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Jun 26 14:01:58 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 13:48:34 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 13:37:19 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 13:17:10 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> But do it properly with tooling (no complicated scripts as in
>>> "yeah it can be done somehow").
>>
>> D just works on plenty of arm devices, including compilers in
>> the upstream package manager (e.g. gdc on raspberry pi) or
>> plain pre-packaged downloads that work out of the box (e.g.
>> ldc on android).
>>
>> I'm a dmd die-hard on pc but it doesn't really need to be the
>> only compiler used.
>
> Is there a guide for how to create a binary working on
> Raspberry Pi from Windows? I guess LDC will work, but I don't
> know how to configure it to build for ARM. I needed something
> like that few months ago but decided to just write a Python
> script instead.

There you go. That was exactly my point. There's a difference
between "can be done" and just press enter and compile it. This
is very important. You shouldn't have to think about things like
that (it's 2020). If you need hot water for your tea you use an
electric kettle or a cooker. You shouldn't have to go and collect
fire wood, go to the well to fetch water, light the fire and so
on.