Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Jun 26 14:10:26 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 14:02:05 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 13:48:34 UTC, JN wrote:
>> Is there a guide for how to create a binary working on
>> Raspberry Pi from Windows?
>
> I have never actually tried it, but a process similar to how
> the android cross compiles work should do this as well.
>
> 1) get your Windows ldc set up
>
> 2) grab the arm-linux ldc package as well.
>
> 3) change your ldc.conf to use the libraries from the arm-linux
> package when targeting arm-linux
>
> 4) Compile with the argument to ldc `-mtriple
> arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi` or `-mtriple
> aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu` (32 vs 64 bit target) and you should
> be all set. (note you just use your normal Windows ldc, all
> that changes is this -mtriple argument to change the target. Or
> if compiling with dub, it is `dub -a platform_specifier_here`.)
>

> Step 3 is the relatively painful one, for android, i made a
> program to do it automatically
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/d_android/blob/master/android-setup.d#L232
>

> But we should lobby the ldc upstream to just include all the
> configs out of the box on all systems. Maybe the libraries are
> a separate download, but no reason not to put the config in so
> it just works out of the box for cross compile too.

Sounds like fun! An it's been like this for years. Well, water,
firewood, stick, stones, sparks...The D community should think
outside the hacker box.

Also, the point that has been raised remains. DMD is a good dev
tool. LDC would be fatal for your average debug-run cycles. But
DMD for ARM will probably not happen, realistically seen. Apart
from that it's important that ARM becomes a first-class citizen
in the D world. It is important and you won't be able to put it
on the long finger for ever.