Why Phobos is cool

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 16:21:17 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 15:06:03 UTC, Chris wrote:

> Once you are a leader you have to stop developing and start
> coordinating things. If you try to do both you'll fail. I said
> this years ago. You love PLs and programming too much to be a
> leader, you want to write good code (so does Walter). You
> should never have become a leader in the first place. You'd
> need someone like Steve Jobs who has a vision and the energy to
> push his cause.

This raises the question: where can D community to find such a
person?

There is an opportunity for someone with strong communication and
organizational skills to do a great service for the D community
by stepping up and filling this leadership vacuum. So far, no one
has done so. Perhaps this is because we do not have a "Steve
Jobs" in our midst--or perhaps we do, and they simply lack
confidence that their contribution would be valued and rewarded.

It is worth thinking about what might be done to encourage such a
person to volunteer, and what obstacles might currently be
standing in their way.