Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 16:51:58 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 14:01:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 13:48:34 UTC, JN wrote:
>>>
>>> D just works on plenty of arm devices, including compilers in
>>> the upstream package manager (e.g. gdc on raspberry pi) or
>>> plain pre-packaged downloads that work out of the box (e.g.
>>> ldc on android).
>>>
>>> I'm a dmd die-hard on pc but it doesn't really need to be the
>>> only compiler used.
>>
>> Is there a guide for how to create a binary working on
>> Raspberry Pi from Windows? I guess LDC will work, but I don't
>> know how to configure it to build for ARM. I needed something
>> like that few months ago but decided to just write a Python
>> script instead.
>
> There you go. That was exactly my point. There's a difference
> between "can be done" and just press enter and compile it. This
> is very important. You shouldn't have to think about things
> like that (it's 2020). If you need hot water for your tea you
> use an electric kettle or a cooker. You shouldn't have to go
> and collect fire wood, go to the well to fetch water, light the
> fire and so on.

ARM that you need to cross-compile to is old news (and D hasn't
done a great job making that super-easy, for sure).

Today/tomorrow's shift is about ARM that you develop *on*. So I'm
not sure the current state of affairs (download the compiler on
the target platform and it just works) is a disaster.

Cross-compilation should be easier though, of course. Maybe you
could help the LDC guys out there?