Why Phobos is cool

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jun 26 17:32:00 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 04:56:20PM +0000, Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 16:41:36 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
[...]
> > I'm not sure what it means to talk about a Steve Jobs in the context
> > of an open source project. He hired many of the top people, paid
> > very high salaries, and shouted at them until he had a product he
> > wanted to use.  It's easy to be a visionary leader if you have
> > billions of dollars to implement your vision.
>
> I was using "Steve Jobs" to mean the kind of person Chris referred to
> in this quote:
>
> > You'd need someone like Steve Jobs who has a vision and the energy
> > to push his cause.
>
> Feel free to mentally replace it with "a talented leader," if you find
> Steve Jobs himself objectionable.

You're missing the point, which is the Steve Jobs had billions of
dollars at his disposal and could (and undoubtedly did) use it to pay
people to implement his vision, whereas Walter does not have billions of
dollars at his disposal and cannot motivate volunteers to do what he
wants with money.

Had Steve Jobs *not* been in the position to hire people with billions
of dollars, perhaps a lot less might have come of his vision.

Heads I win, tails you lose.