Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jun 26 17:54:08 UTC 2020

> On 2020-06-26 18:12, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
[...]
> > ... and if someone has a "big zip" (tm) with everything included and
> > in the right position .. for a macOS host ... wow ...
[...]

Y'know what would be a total killer combo?  An all-in-one LDC package
that contains everything you need to cross compile from any platform to
any other platform.  Including full linkers and/or system libraries
necessary to generate fully-runnable executables (this point is
important, because e.g. I can't cross-compile from Linux to MacOS
without separately installing a MacOS dev environment, because LDC
doesn't come with a linker for that, unlike LDC-windows).

Think about it.  Install a single package on any OS, and you can
instantly cross-compile to all supported LDC targets just by specifying
the right -m triple without needing to install/configure anything else.
Build your code for all targeted platforms all in one go, without
needing to fuss and muss with low-level config file tweaking and
manually installing stuff.  *That* would be a total killer combo for D.

People walk. Computers run.