Why Phobos is cool

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 09:44:01 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 16:21:17 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 15:06:03 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Once you are a leader you have to stop developing and start
>> coordinating things. If you try to do both you'll fail. I said
>> this years ago. You love PLs and programming too much to be a
>> leader, you want to write good code (so does Walter). You
>> should never have become a leader in the first place. You'd
>> need someone like Steve Jobs who has a vision and the energy
>> to push his cause.
>
> This raises the question: where can D community to find such a
> person?
>
> There is an opportunity for someone with strong communication
> and organizational skills to do a great service for the D
> community by stepping up and filling this leadership vacuum. So
> far, no one has done so. Perhaps this is because we do not have
> a "Steve Jobs" in our midst--or perhaps we do, and they simply
> lack confidence that their contribution would be valued and
> rewarded.
>
> It is worth thinking about what might be done to encourage such
> a person to volunteer, and what obstacles might currently be
> standing in their way.

It can be done. The problem is the mindset that those things are
not important or people complaining about such stuff are
unproductive idiots who have nothing to do with their life but
spend all day (...in their mind) spamming the D forum, so to
speak.

We all get paid for writing code. But there's a tool maker and
there's a tool user. A tool user can also be another person's
tool user.

Again its the mindset, not everyone has that level of polish and
UX mind/priority. Some have never written user facing code where
it has to be done is such a way regular people (in D's case the
tool user) can feel comfortable to pick up.

It all depends on the mindset, I don't believe it has to do with
being a (hard core) programmer or anything like it. I've seen D
tools well polished with good UX. Some value communication and
organizational skills naturally. The basic elements you learn in
some high schools or in entrepreneurship class needed to make
ventures succeed and grow, in addition to other agents.

In D's case, its hard to tell. Some think money is the only way
to attract talents and they'll only pick that from the Steve jobs
analogy.

At the end of the day, its all about trying to make D better.