How I use D

Guillaume Piolat first.name at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 12:18:02 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 11:18:03 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 09:09:14 UTC, Cym13 wrote:
>> I'm a security consultant. My job is to find security issues
>> and exploit them. I'm sure most of you know about pentesters
>> yet my job goes a bit beyond common penetration testing. I
>> review websites and networks but also attack electronic
>> devices, perform malware analysis, source code review,
>> cryptographic review, human manipulation, lockpicking...
>> Anything goes.
>

> Super interesting thanks!

I'll bite:

I've been defending:
    - unsafe by default,
    - throw by default,
    - impure by default,
    - mutable by default

for years. To me those defaults are the right ones, and it warms
me up that, as it seems, your D usage would be made _almost
impossible_ if the permissive default changed to a strict one.

I've been in a similar situation where you have to create an
internal tool as fast as possible because of limited political
support, and all those features  - that are completely rational
and acceptable in the right context - may reveal a liability in
the trenches.

So I hope people will keep the important use cases of _bad
programs_, may I say in mind when improving D.