How I use D

Cym13 cpicard at openmailbox.org
Mon Jun 29 19:47:26 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 19:28:58 UTC, oddp wrote:
> Didn't want to derail the forum discussion, thus an off-list
> message:
>
> What's your take on nim then? Some stuff regarding your post:
>
> - python-esque syntax with d-like performance, lower mem
> footprint
> - also solid type inference story
> - semi-realtime gc (and more); all around better than d's gc
> options
> - UFCS
> - similar compile-time execution capabilities, hygienic macros
> - inline asm statements
> - directly include c and cpp headers via pragmas, since nim
> compiles to c or cpp
> - large stdlib; more data structures, parseutils, etc.
>   (although nothing as fleshed out as std.algorithm)
> - safer defaults, inspired by ada; static verification in the
> works
> - community of similar size and as many third-party libs, it
> seems
>
> Currently looking at both d and nim myself.

I know of Nim but haven't given it a try for the moment so I'll
reserve my judgement. From what I see though, it's basically D
with python syntax. I like D, so I'm pretty sure I would like Nim
too and it's my backup plan if D takes my toys away someday, but
I don't need another D just for the pythony gimmick (for all the
love I have of python).

At the moment I just don't see what it brings to the table that
could benefit me so I'd rather stick with the more mature
language of the two. Yet, as mentionned, it's not a language I
have tried thoroughly so take that with a grain of salt.