Why Phobos is cool

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 30 21:40:31 UTC 2020

On 6/30/2020 1:33 AM, Chris wrote:
> Personally I think that the sentence was not really rude or insulting but maybe
> polemical, so within the range of a passionate and heated debate, I'd say, even
> in a professional environment.

Calling someone "spoiled" is rude and unprofessional. Period.

> IMO, it's neither fair nor good style to single out one sentence from a long
> post and dismiss the whole post because you consider the sentence to be rude or
> unprofessional.

People who want their message heard need to post in a professional manner. I
don't care about the opinions of rude people. I don't care to work with them,
even if they are good. I am hardly alone in this - pretty much nobody in the
professional world responds to rude messages.

> And since "professional demeanor" is a
> flexible term one can always change the criteria as one sees fit (another one is
> "unspecific" which has become a rather unspecific term too :).

I recommend that anyone who has difficulties understanding what politeness is
get a copy of Emily Post's book on business etiquette.

Ill-mannered people find themselves shut out of all kinds of opportunities, and
they rarely figure out why.