I want off Mr. Golang's Wild Ride

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:47:43 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 1 March 2020 at 01:43:26 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I coded in Go for one year for a microservice security company.
> After cursing for about two weeks I settled down and went along
> with whatever idioms Go wanted me to write in. I don't mean
> lack of features was not important; what I mean is, we humans
> can adapt any situation.

True, did you also adopt the very noisy Go-pattern of manually
propagating all errors or did you use their ad-hoc take on
"exceptions"?

I've only used Go for tiny front ends, but plan to use it for
something larger and I really want the more maintainable code you
get with "exceptions" even though Go coders avoid it. Do you have
some conclusions on that topic based on what you experienced?

> The fact that Go does not have generics (or templates) is an
> indication to me of the engineering skills of Go's creators.

I don't think they all are against generics, but didn't want to
add it to the language until they fully understood how the
language would be used in the real world. E.g. figure out the
limits of their interface semantics first? Not sure, but they are
adding generics now.

(I personally feel that the lack of proper exceptions is more of
a problem than generics.)