I want off Mr. Golang's Wild Ride

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 15:03:05 UTC 2020

On 3/1/20 12:28 AM, Andre Pany wrote:

 > The company you work for, is Go a customer requirement or what blocks
 > the usage of D?

The company I used to work for used Go because the CTO had decided to
use Go. To his credit, Go shined in "glue programming": Everything that
a mircoservice security company would need was already written by
someone else. (If not, you were sure that it would be written next week,
which happened a couple of times.) You would simply import and use that
feature and be happy. Of course you had to trust and accept all other
dependencies that were sneaking to your project. (The linked original
article mentiones this "issue".)

Interestingly, we did use D in one part of the product not because of me
but because of another employee who had used D at Weka. Unfortunately,
it had to be rewritten in C++ both because that person was leaving the
company and both because there were issues with D's threadAttachThis()
and threadDetatchThis(). (I have an abandoned PR which potentially fixes
at least some of the issues.)

Ali