Documentation Improvement Initiative

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:55:36 UTC 2020

On Monday, 2 March 2020 at 14:13:16 UTC, p.shkadzko wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I would really like to see "Mir" library docs get more love:
> http://mir-algorithm.libmir.org
>
> Being a D beginner and coming from Python world I struggle to
> understand why and how some examples work. I lack trivial
> information and for the most part the context. How is
> mir.ndslice `Slice` entity is different from D multidimensional
> array and why is it different in the first place. What is the
> big purpose and goal of the library documentation? When should
> we prefer it over traditional D arrays, etc. etc. This stuff
> belongs in the library. Right now mir docs are dry and
> incomplete which is a shame since it could grow into a serious
> Numpy alternative and bring more people into D.

I agree that there could be some improvement here. I've intended
to write something up, but haven't. There is a blog post from
Shigeki Karita that is listed in the readme.md that I recall
doing a decent job, but it is in Japanese and Google Translate
doesn't seem to run on it anymore. I think there is an issue with
the certificate or something. Probably just making a English
version of it more easily available would be a step in the right
direction.