An example of why I hate the web

Rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Tue Mar 3 21:04:49 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 at 18:30:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>  But there is a fundamentally b0rken principle here, that you
> no longer own anything, not your data, not your programs, your
> provider controls everything. You no longer *own* anything,
> you're merely a "subscriber"

That's because usually, it's the company/university/third party
that provides you these services. From the other side of the
fence I am happy that I can set a ridiculous retention period
making your "delete" action completely useless. I can even let
you press Shift-Delete if that makes you feel good.

I have seen too many times people lie and pretend to be victim of
things that never happened. Living in an era where nearly
everything has a written e-mail/conversation behind it, it's very
simple to counter any misbehaviour of users.

For personal use, you can set up in your basement your e-mail
server in minutes, but as long as you use a resource payed and
maintained by a third party, I don't find any abuse if that third
party manages that resource how suits it best.

The same about people complaining about Facebook selling your
data. I survived without a Facebook account and I'm in my 40-ies.

Subscription is an option. You can setup your gig anytime in your
nice data room like in old days or you can find something
between, e.g. a private cloud. But as long as you pay 10 or 0
bucks on a fully fledged server with 99% uptime, you must give
something in return. Your privacy, your ownership or your pinky
sometimes :) Freedom and independence are not for free.